Tuesday, June 05, 2012

An OC oversight

The OC took a trip to Prague a while back and completely enjoyed himself.  It was only for a few days, but it was a delightful time.  While reading Small Dead Animals, I discovered that I had missed a very special spot.


This is from the Memorial to the Victims of Communism.  Being a great believer in personal freedom, how could I have not gone to see it.  The key translations of the above:

205,486 Sentenced [for daring to disagree]
248 Executed
4,500 Died in Prison

327 Died at the border trying to escape from Czechoslovakia
170,938 Left Czechoslovakia to escape Communism
I had promised myself that I would get back to Prague, if only to enjoy again the wonderful food and beers.  Now I have an additional reason to return.

More photos and details at Small Dead Animals.

No comments: