Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Undocumented?

Stefan Sharkansky over at Sound Politics has a thought provoking post about the whole issue of "undocumented".
Yesterday, while our government officials and government employee unions were marching in the streets with the "undocumented immigrants", I was filing my quarterly B&O tax returns. And that led me to think: Gee, wouldn't it be nice if I could be an undocumented business owner? Just as the "undocumented workers" opted to avoid the expense and inconvenience of obtaining proper documentation, I too would prefer to avoid the expense and inconvenience of operating as a documented business. But if nobody bothered to get themselves documented, who would pay for all of these wonderful social programs that some in government want to lavish on the undocumented?

I'd like to be "undocumented" every April 15th. I assume that the IRS would be interested in an amnesty for anyone who just didn't go through the trouble of filing a 1040 -- it's not like we are hurting anyone -right?

Now, if someone speaks up and says that not paying taxes is "illegal", I'll ask why it is OK for a Mexican to be called "undocumented" (even though they have violated Title 8, Chapter 12, Subchapter II, Part VIII, § 1325 of the US Code) while my actions would be called "illegal".

No comments: