Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Ninth Circus strikes again

From the good folks over at The Strata-Sphere:

Los Angeles’ policy of arresting homeless people for sitting, lying or sleeping on public sidewalks as “an unavoidable consequence of being human and homeless without shelter” violates the constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment, a federal appeals court ruled today.
Now, I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on this blog....but I don't understand how arresting homeless people can be a cruel and unusual punishment. Making them move to Barstow or Bakersfield might be considered cruel. Then again, I heard Carlos Mencia do a routine in which he said that Mexico is so bad, that the illegals are happy to be in Barstow. So, maybe it wouldn't be considered cruel.

Either way, this is one ruling that I want to see reheard en banc. I think they just got too lefty-loonies for this case.

No comments: